You are not logged in.

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 12:00pm

New Player Here (An Observation, Rant, and a Plea for Help)

Who am I?

I am Jaime from the Philippines and I am a new player of Allods Online. I played it back most likely three years ago and only reached level 16. Despite this let's just put it that I am still new to the game.

Why Allods Online?
Despite the many haters telling this game is pay to win, Allods Online remains, nevertheless, a free-to-play with good graphics (with the cartoony artstyle I'd consider timeless). And relatively low spec and playable on my nifty laptop. I basically have an on-and-off relationship with the game but right now I'm trying to dive in and just explore the game has to offer.

Okay so what's the problem?
Well I have a few in which I do like to discuss in here.

Problem #1: Performance
I have kinda mentioned that Allods Online is indeed one of the few low-spec games existing today with basically decent graphics. I have a pretty good (although non-gaming) laptop and based from what the system requirements of the game, my laptop kicked ass. It just bugs me how I have been having performance issues with the game. I've been having a lot of inconsistent FPS which causes the game to be gritty and just rough. I have posted my system specs so please confirm if my presumption about my laptop kicking the game's ass true. If not then, you can kick my ass lol. PLease help me optimize the game.

Problem #2: OVERWHELMINGLY TANGLED STRING OF QUESTS.

I chose to create a new character since I cannot exactly come back to my level 16 character because I have lost track. I didn't know where to go and continue. And coincidentally, I found myself still lost with the new character. I have been having trouble with the quests of the game since it's very tangled in my opinion. I feel like I have to take all the quests since I may miss out on what is crucial to my progression in the game. Like for instance, I am already level 8 in the game but I have a few level 6 quest piled up to finish. This kinda makes the path of progression distorted. Meaning I cannot really distinguish which zone is for level 10 and which zone is for level 7.

With that, I am asking tips from players on how to find some sense of linearity.
(I chose the EMPIRE because they're outnumbered. They need my help. LOL)

Last words:
Love the game. I sure do. I just need help to fully enjoy it.
kamaru004 has attached the following file:
  • DxDiag.txt (90.36 kB - 51 times downloaded - latest: May 12th 2018, 12:17am)

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 5:00pm

Quest can be:
- World mystery (extremely important with most valuable rewards such as new spell/ruby in the end of the quest chain)
- Important (sometimes you have to finish those in order to unlock World Mystery chain)
- Not important (can safely be ignored if the reward doesn't appeal to you)

All quests that you take are correspondingly marked (hover your mouse over the quest mark - exclamation sign (!) - in the quest log to see the description))

Regarding the performance issues. Your specs are more than enough for Allods Online, however, sometimes there are some weird issues with either AO, Win10 or combination of both.

If you're in the middle of some crowded ingame place having FPS drop and your laptop is silent like it doesn't feel the demand for performance, then you should look into some Win10 settings (like battery management could be switched for max performance or smth. I had a problem when battery icon in status bar said "Available, not charging", it turned out to be some glitch in drivers and I had to re-install battery virtual device to resolve that).

But if your laptop is screaming with its fans out loud, it's all hot from the load and the fps is still low... Well, despite AO doesn't require much to run it isn't really well-optimized, so sometimes the FPS drops and no good solution was proposed to that (not that I know of any at least).

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 9:07pm

Quinz

Intermediate

Hello and welcome back :)

Regarding the performance, I would guess it's just some setting in the game not responding well with your PC specs. Sometimes, especially in games that are not that well optimized, there are certain graphics settings that just don't work well with your specific PC build. That could be both hardware and software related.

I suggest you turn all your graphics settings to the lowerst and see if there's any difference. If it works well, turn up one setting at a time and play for a while, until you find out which setting is causing the FPS drops.
You could also try closing other applications running in the background, especially if you have something running which consumes at lot of CPU or memory.

The quest system in this game is aweful in my opnion. I've been in these situations so many times, when I just can't find a new quest chain, or even don't know what to do with a specific quest.
I suggest that you mainly focus on the importance of the quests, always pick the World Mystery quests, and try to do the important quests with the bright yellow exclamation mark on them. Then if you need the exp or want a particular reward, you can do the side quests, which are the ones with a slightly weaker coloured exclamation mark on them.

If you fall behind on any of the side quests, just abandon them. If you need help with a particular quest, feel free to ask here in the forum and I'm sure a veteran player can help you :)

Btw, what's your IGN and what server do you play on, if I may ask?
“If you want to conquer fear, don't sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”
-Dale Carnegie

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
-Bernard M. Baruch

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 9:38pm

- make sure the nvidia VGA is used, not the intel one

- turn off (to the lowest) sky quality in allods -> huge performanceeater which does not make things prettier but consumes lots of resources

- close all "my.com" process - only AOGAME.exe may run while playing

- for linear questing: just use the "questfinder" icon, press it repeatedly - so even if you dont know what was last the system will tell you - automove will do the rest :)
so even if you dont EVER read ANY questtest it wont be a problem to do your quests - also press T so all relevant items are highlighted

for empire, as a reference:

1st instance
nezebgrad
xaes (instance)
igsh military district
dead sea
laguna resort (instance)
wild isles
13th lab (instance)
asee teph

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 6:06am

To be fair, I'm running well above system requirements and my performance is still shit. This has still not been resolved from 1 patch, and many hotfixes ago.

For reference, Core i7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz, 16GB RAM and GeForce GTX 980. I still lag hard in certain areas and especially in mass PvP.

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 12:48pm

Same as Nethon I'm running well above requirements and its same for me when we attack nezeb and do fight with other people.

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 3:16pm

its like with command and conquer generals, it does not matter how good your system is as long as there is a limitation in the program / programs netcode

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 6:23pm

Agreed. My point was that performance was and still is a problem, and that it may have nothing to do with the minimum or recommended system requirements. Considering how far over the minimum my system is, and the fact that even on minimum graphics settings I still run into video lag, there may be no way for the OP to "optimize" the game to eliminate his performance problem.

EDIT: One thing I will note after looking at the DxDiag.txt, support may tell you that your graphics are not up to par. According to them integrated graphics of any kind is insufficient for the game. It doesn't matter whether your integrated GPU outperforms the minimum requirements or not. The very fact that it is integrated makes it insufficient in their eyes. So you will want to make sure you are actually using your nVidia GPU as outlined previously. Your RAM is fine, but for CPU as far as I remember the game doesn't multi-thread so your "low" speed may also be hampering your performance.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Nethon" (Jun 15th 2017, 6:28pm)